1. Your house burnt up and then it burnt down. So your fire alarm went off by turning on. So you had to fill in your insurance form by filling it out.
2. If teachers taught, why haven't preachers praught???
3. If the plural of tooth is teeth, then why isn't the plural of booth beeth??
4. You can make amends but you can't make one amend.
5. If a vegetarian eats vegetables, what does a humanitarian eat? Obviously humanitarians eat humanitables, not humans. Otherwise, vegetarians would eat vegans.
6. Noses that run and feet that smell?
7. How can a slim chance and a fat chance be the same, while a wise man and a wise guy are opposites? For that matter, how can awful be something bad when awesome is really good?
8. When the stars are out, they are visible. BUT when the lights are out, they are invisible.
9. You can be gormless, but what IS gorm? Apparently something that is good to have? And does someone have some "ruth" to give?
10. If "glasses" is a pair of lenses worn on the head, then why isn't a monocle called a "glass"?
11. Why is the fear of long words 'hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia'?
12. If one who does stupid things is "reckless", why can't someone who thinks things through be "reckful"?
13. One of the mice is called a mouse, but one of the dice isn’t a douse, nor one grain of rice called a rouse, nor a cube of ice called an ouse? And why isn’t a house one of the hice or a blouse one of the blice? (And for that matter, why isn't a spouse one of the spice?)
14. If ice makes icicles, what does a test make?
15. If teachers are teaching and painters are painting, why aren't lawyers lawying?
16. If the prefix "de" means none or the opposite of, how does de-void still mean "nothing"?
Terry Pratchett says it all when he was talking about elves:
“Elves are wonderful. They provoke wonder.
Elves are marvellous. They cause marvels.
Elves are fantastic. They create fantasies.
Elves are glamorous. They project glamour.
Elves are enchanting. They weave enchantment.
Elves are terrific. They beget terror.
The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.”
Wednesday, 25 February 2009
Friday, 20 February 2009
all bus conductors all carry the same little brown leather pouch? Where do they get them from? Is there some black-market cartel operating here?? Why don't we ever see them on sale at, say, Gariahat market? Must investigate further...
Thursday, 19 February 2009
Am listening to this brill J-Pop song by Suara right this moment. Its called "Kimi ga Tame"... beautiful, beautiful lyrics. The first line says it all: Kimi no hitomi ni utsuru watashi wa nani iro desuka? (roughly translated: When your eyes catch my reflection, what hue am I?) Isn't it romantic? You can download it from Gendou (link in the sidebar).